Monday, April 1, 2013

Churchill made his way out of Pretoria. He had £75 and four slabs of chocolate in his pocket. The compass and map had been left behind with his comrades. He struck a railway line and after walking for two hours saw the lights of a station. A train stopped at the station and as it picked up speed on leaving he jumped aboard. It took him some distance but he resolved to leave the train before it got light and only catch another at nightfall. “I set out for the hills, among which I hoped to find some hiding place, and as it became broad daylight I entered a small grove of trees. Here I resolved to wait till dusk. No one in the world knew where I was – I did not know myself. My sole companion was a gigantic vulture, who manifested an extravagant interest in my condition.”

No comments:

Post a Comment